We have updated our cPanel hosting servers to use the all new MySQL 5.6, which brings many performance improvements. Some of them are outlined below:
– Improved optimizer for all-around query performance.
– Improved InnoDB for higher transactional throughput.
– New NoSQL-style memcached APIs.
– Improved partitioning that helps query and manage huge tables.
– Expanded the data available through the PERFORMANCE_SCHEMA, and improved performance monitoring.
You can find out more about MySQL 5.6 here.